In the lead up to your AGM, it’s integral to maximise the value of your investor and proxy advisor relationships to deliver positive AGM outcomes.
Securing the best possible voting outcome at your AGM begins many months prior, through consultation and engagement with investors, analysts, proxy advisors, ratings agencies, staff and many more stakeholders. To help you prepare, you need to partner with an experienced, reliable partner like Georgeson.
Do you have a comprehensive stakeholder engagement program in place?
Whether you need to respond to investor and proxy advisor concerns regarding your remuneration report, or shareholder proposals, you need to ensure your stakeholder engagement program is comprehensive and robust. The market expects consultation, meaning you need to meet with the right people, unpack and understand the issues, consider how to respond and engage with investors to discuss the improvements.
Georgeson helps you engage thoroughly and thoughtfully with your key stakeholders and will continue to work with you to manage evolving expectations.
We can provide the following services and more:
- Post AGM analysis to determine final voting directions and rationale of investors.
- Register analysis to show who holds the voting rights and the influence of proxy advisors.
- Governance roadshow – organising meetings for the Chair, RemCo Chair and Head of Reward with governance-focused investors (such as index and super funds) to discuss remuneration, strategy, succession planning and approach to ESG.
- Reviewing the draft remuneration report for proxy advisor and investor sensitivities and providing recommendations to enhance the disclosure.
- Modern Slavery Statement review – identifying areas for improvement via a gap analysis, strategic advice on next steps for reporting and more importantly for enhancing modern slavery risk management and mitigation processes.
- Institutional and retail investor engagement prior to the AGM to provide key messaging, gather feedback and confirm voting intentions.
- Custodian vote tracking improves transparency by identifying how investors are voting on each resolution. Votes aren’t submitted to the registry until the day before the voting deadline, and vote tracking begins three weeks before the AGM.
- Vote forecasting based on engagement and the investors’ proxy advisor subscriptions, voting history and approach to remuneration, among other factors.
- Responding to proxy advisor commentary and ensuring investors have the benefit of the company’s response.
- Custodian contact to ensure votes are submitted correctly.
- Dominic Horsley, Group Counsel and Company Secretary, Computershare
Working with Georgeson means you can:
Strengthen relationships with key investors, particularly governance-focused funds.
Establish a best practice approach to stakeholder engagement to maximise AGM outcomes.
Know what investors are saying and how they are voting ahead of the AGM.